This past weekend Ashley and Ryan were here. Ashley was complaining of a slight sore throat and wasn't feeling good. On top of that it was cold this weekend AND she was stressing about retaking her SAT's on Saturday. So her friend Hilary came down for the weekend because she was taking the test too. Early Saturday morning I dropped them off at Pope High School for their grueling 5 hour test. When I got home Ryan wanted to go to GameStop to get some kind of electronic free download that you get from their WiFi at their store for his Gameboy game. THEN Chris wanted to go hang out with his friend at the movies. By the time I got done running around, it was 12 o'clock or so. I knew Ash said the test should be over by 1 but I wasn't completely sure. She and Hilary weren't able to take their cell phones in with them so there was no way for them to communicate with me. Plus I feared in the land of speed dial, Ash might not remember my cell phone number. So finally about 12:30 I had dozed off on the couch, to get a phone call at about 1:15 by Ash's dad... she had borrowed someone's phone at the school to call him ( because she remembered his number ) and asked him to call me to tell me to come get them. I didn't know that the school would not let them stay inside, so they were stuck standing outside for 30 minutes waiting on me - which probably didn't help the situation at all. She was complaining of being cold and having chills. So we got home and she and Hilary laid down to take a nap before we had to meet up with Hilary's mom at 3 for her to take her home. Ash still wasn't feeling good and I told her if she didn't feel better we would go to CVS minute clinic in the morning before she had to go to work.
Sunday morning she didn't feel any better. I took her to CVS and they did a quick strep test on her that was negative, and they did a second culture to send to the lab ( of which I STILL haven't heard back from them with the results ) The nurse gave Ash some chlorseptic type gargle medicine that was thick and really disgusting but it was supposed to help numb her throat so she could swallow easier. We were never really told what she had exactly.. it was a little disappointing.
Ash went on to work and was supposed to work from 3 to 8.. but about 4 or 5 I got a call with her crying saying she felt horrible and her boss was letting her go home. I was going to bring Ryan to her so she could take him home with her since her work is closer than the house. So off we went. She looked pretty puny... and i was worried about her, but told her to take the gargle stuff and the ibuprofen I'd gotten her.
Tues night I got a call from her and she was in tears. When I answered the phone all I heard was " They lied... I DO have strep"... Turns out her aunt's little boys have strep - confirmed by the doctor they went to. The two little boys are younger than 3 I think, one is 3 and the other is a baby - and they are living at the house with their dad and stepmom. So it's a lil crazy there. So now they have strep floating around their house. Ash said her dad would take her, but since Dale has a flex spending account for medical stuff, it just made more sense for me to take them On my way to getting Ash, she sent me a message and said Ryan was feeling bad too.. Oiy !! Seriously ??? Soooo.. it was going to be a two for one day. But I felt bad that CVS got it wrong and that she wasn't feeling any better and I wanted to make it right. And besides, if I could use the flex account, then no one had to pay out of pocket for the visit and the medicine, so it just made sense
Soooo.. I picked them up and off we went to Northside Urgent Care... which is where I SHOULD HAVE taken her in the first place - lesson learned! I've been taking them to NUC since I was living on my own. They have an amazing staff and have always given great care. I got there, filled out all the paperwork and already I could tell it was going to be an interesting visit when we were cutting up and making jokes in the waiting room. And then the comedy continued as we went back and they were getting their vitals taken. One thing that touched me during the time we were in the waiting room, there was an elderly woman who came in for a visit and had propped her cane against the wall as she was checking in. Her cane fell to the floor and without hesitation Ryan handed me the clipboard with is paperwork that he was filling out, and went over and picked up the cane for the woman. It is just one of those many moments that makes me proud of them as human beings and proud to be their mom.
Then it was time to go back to be seen. At first they put them both in seperate rooms, and I would just bounce back and forth. But then Ryan came into our exam room so we could be in one. Ash got tested for mono - which was negative - but she DID have, not only strep, but a sore throat AND an ear infection... Oh joy! Ryan's throat was red and tender, but no sign of strep - but they gave me antibiotics for them both - Ash to take hers right away and then Ryan could take his if he started feeling sick.
The entire time we were waiting in the exam room, between nurse and dr visits, we could not stop making jokes about little stupid things. One thing that had us all in tears was this image...
We were making fun of the image... and I made the comment that in MY veins, I didn't have cells, I actually had Oreos, Mt Dew and something else.. Ashley was sitting in the chair next to me and she said " Wow that cell kinda looks like a sandwhich " ... and then she took a closer look and said " Ohhh.. it IS a sandwhich"... I bust out laughing... and i know the moment is lost here typing it out, but you just had to be there... it was so priceless how Ashley didn't realize the image was an actual sandwhich... she thought it just looked like one... then I said "..I think you have BLT-itis"... to which more laughing and more tears followed!! I think the Dr must have thought we were out of our minds !! And then Ashley getting her finger pricked.. and the nurse telling her how everyone else said it hurt... oh my gosh.. it was just a lot of fun ... even for a moment when my babies were sick! I love having them in my life and spending time with them when not a care in the world matters!! LOL
A few more memories from the day:
- Chik Fil A? yes..... no...... yes...... there it is again..... no.... yes.... well maybe.... yes...no.... OMG.. OKAY FINE YES !!!
- Cashing out at CVS, buying OTC medicine that the pharmacist told me I'd need to show ID for. Ryan coming running up behind me because he spilled something in the car and needed handi wipes.... When I asked the cashier if he needed to see my ID.. and he said "no".. I said.. "what gave it away.. the grey hair.. or the 19 yr old child running towards me screaming Mom frantically looking for handi wipes" LOL
- Another "awww" moment - as I was in CVS getting their prescriptions filled, the same elderly woman was in the parking lot and a buggy or something was going to hit her car or something, and Ryan jumped out to help her and keep the buggy from hitting her car....
- ... to which resulted in Ryan spilling his soda, and Ashley spilling her Polynesian sauce from Chik Fil A all over her pants !
I tell you what.. there is NEVER a dull moment with these two! So tonight they are medicated and diagnosed PROPERLY.. and are on the road to recovery. Ash isn't allowed to return to school until the antibiotics have been in her system for 48 hrs. Ryan was supposed to wait to take his until IF he felt like he was feeling more sick - but got confused and went ahead and took his first dosage tonight. Oh well, I guess it will help keep him protected from the crud floating around their house.
So at the end of the day
- Dr Visit CoPay - $50.00 ( no two for one specials today )
- HandiWipes to clean up good deed by son - $3.99
- Driving around Chik Fil A three or four times and possibly suffering from BLT-itis with two amazing kiddamalinks.. PRICELESS !!!

Nothing like an exciting day with the gang !!!!! That's how it is with Hayley and Natalie and Tammy
ReplyDeletewhen we are all together. If Ashley has frequent "streps"" may be time to have tonsils and adnoids out !!! Bummer !!!! Wes was 19 and Tammy was 30 and Hayley was 12.