As I'm sitting here reflecting back on today ( and also waiting for the clothes in the dryer to finish doing their thing ) .... I am reminded of the many blessings I have in my life. This year has been full of changes for me. I lost my job last November, and Dale got his latest job. Just this month he will be brought on as a full time employee with benies and paid holidays/vacation/sick days and such.... ahhhh the joys of corporate America! Ryan and Ashley both entered into their senior year of high school, and Chris began his journey as a freshman in high school ( am I REALLY old enough to have kids in high school... whew !!! ) Diablo went to go live back with our dear friends William and Jeanne because they had more room for him to run and be the big dog that he'd become, and they two siblings of Diablo's that they had kept for themselves had run away, and Jeanne and the kids really missed having the pups around. So it was a win win for everyone. Dale hated giving him up, but we knew it was best for everyone involved - especially Diablo. Later in the summer we moved out of the nightmare rental house we were in and moved into an amazing house that we jokingly refer to as "House 2.0". It has a lot of the same features as the old house, just nicer or better quality. The old house was infested with rats when we moved into it and slowly became a safe haven for squirrels and raccoons in the attic. When the landlord refused to acknowledge that the attic had becoming a dumping ground and needed to be sanitized, cleaned, and re-insulated - we KNEW it was definately time to go. The house was literally falling apart around us, and our landlord didn't have any interest or concern in fixing it. So... we moved. Chris seems to have adjusted well to the new house. He's still in the same school district ( Mabry / Lassiter ) and he actually has a really good friend, Austin, who lives in the neighborhood. I have dabbled a bit more in my photography, which is slowly taking off but I am still learning new tricks of the trade every day. I've met some amazing photography friends that I am able to network with and follow. Ashley started her job last year at Cracker Barrell and is loving it. She works in the gift shop part of the store.... and she really does a great job. I hate that she doesn't get to come visit every other weekend like before because she usually has to work, but I usually stop by and see her on my way there or coming back from taking Ryan home. So wicked proud of all my kids. They continue to impress me everday.
I talked with my Mom and stepdad today. I usually touch base about once every couple of weeks. Not nearly as much as I should... but I'm not much of a phone person. And then when I *do* get on the phone, it's usually for an hour or so! For someone who doesn't like to talk, I sure do end up having a lot to say! But I really miss the time we used to spend together. One of the things I miss the most from my high school days, is how we used to sit around the table after dinner and talk for hours. My brothers had both moved out and gone into the military, so it was just the three of us. I can't really recall a lot of what we would talk about .. but it doesn't really matter. It was just that we did it. It's one thing I really wish I had done more with my own kids. But the nice thing about having such a long drive over the years to pick them up on the weekends was that I could spend that time talking with them or just being silly. We've had some laugh out loud moments, and some really serious heart to heart moments on that stretch of road. It's going to be weird when I don't have to do that anymore. I know I've always looked forward to not having to make the drive, but never really looked forward to not riding with them. More bitter sweet moments of growing up I suppose.
The chat with them was great. They have their own changes going on. They are going to be moving out of NH and move to SC. It will be nice to have them closer to spend more time with them and so they can see the kids. Mine are the only grandkids they have so I really want them to be able to spend more time with them. I want my kids to know them and hear their amazing stories about growing up in the streets of the Bronx, and cute boys who drove motorcycles in high school, and just all the fun adventures they have had in their life.
Not much else around the farm today -
- Dale and I went to Costco after work and tinkered around ( that place always amazes me! And they have the most awesome set of pens.. I LOVE pens.. I carry a ton of them with me all the time.. and they had a package of like 30 pens for $10... SWEEET ! I didn't get them.. but it's nice to know they are there! )
- Chris had early release today and then went out and hung out with his buddies at the park near the high school. We are both still trying to adjust and get used to his new "social life" and freedom. Something he's never really had before in this callibre and I don't really want to squash it, but I also don't want him to lose focus on his academic life either.
- No real word from Ryan and Ash today... but that's not that uncommon that I go days at a time not hearing from them. I know they are safe and just plugging along with school and stuff.
The weather seems to be calming down a bit and slowly setting into fall.. Yay! But this IS Georgia.. so I know better than to get TOO excited just yet!
So yea... I'm looking over my day and my thoughts and just consider myself pretty darn lucky to have the things that I have in my life. My kids are healthy.. I have a great family that loves me and I love them... I have a man who makes me laugh and makes me crazy all in the same day ( but it works! ) ... I have a roof over my head, food in my kitchen, a lil bit of money in my pocket, amazing friends from all stages of my life ( The power of Facebook compels thee !!) .... Sure not every day is perfect... heck some days are down right horrible and they make me want to crawl into the back of my closet and hide. But all in all life is pretty good. It just gets really overwhelming sometimes trying to juggle it all.. and a lot of times I forget things or people or am better about some things than others. It doesn't mean I care any less - its just a lot to keep up with. Trying to make time for myself and do the things I need *and* want to do, making time for the kids, keeping up with their school stuff, making sure Dale has everything he needs for school, dealing with the pets, trying to reach out to family and friends, grocery shopping, putting out the trash, paying bills.. it's a good thing breathing is an automatic response or there are days that I might forget to do even that! LOL
Random kiddamalink stuff... wow they grow up fast !

No comments:
Post a Comment